I was reading a series of articles about using Jet Blue's AYCJ pass that was available this fall. The article was about one traveler's experiences as he traveled to 30 airports in 30 days. As I read the article I was fascinated by his ability to sleep on planes and in airports. Although the idea of this travel style sounded romantic, I do not think I am that kind of traveler. Throw in a baby and some cranky flight attendants and some Germans and I am not that kind of traveler.
I have flown twice to Africa and back this year. I have used two different airlines. I have slept in economy and business class. Which do you think was better? I have met Slovakian Hungarians, Persians, Ethiopians, Germans, crazy Christians, Dutch, Danish, and all kinds of Americans and Africans. I have eaten airplane food, airport food, and my snacks that I brought. I think my snacks were the best. I have been denied boarding a plane with water. I have been awakened by anxious flight attendants who assured me it was time to eat. I have developed instant lung conditions sitting next to unfiltered Chinese cigarettes. Not all airports are smoking segregated. I have sat in front of screaming crying children who could not be consoled. I have lost a stroller, my friend's sweater and my way a few times. I only found the sweater and my way.
And yes I had a panic attack at thousands of feet in the air above the Atlantic Ocean sparked by this question that popped into my head "Melissa, what the hell are you doing?" I did not speak this sentence aloud and for good reason. Knowing my husband, if I had uttered any doubts at this point, I know he would have produced two parachutes and we would have jumped. Actually knowing my husband, we would have been handcuffed by the sky marshalls and imprisoned when we landed in Addis.
Some parts of my plane travels are a little foggy due to lack of sleep or actual sleeping. On the second visit we flew Lufthansa from Addis to Frankfurt. Departing flights leave late at night, so this flight left about 11 pm. This is the flight that we were surrounded by the crazy Christians. I know there are many humanitarian workers that go to Ethiopian. I am not quite sure what they all do. I have only seen them in airports and not in Ethiopia itself. Since we spend the whole time in Addis, we only run into other adoptive families, governmental workers or diplomats. Fortunately, these crazy Christian young adults slept most of this 7 hour leg because it started off with alot of vocal praying. I am tolerant of religions and most religious practices (this does not include insane religions like Elizabeth Smart's kidnappers) but the prayers coming out of their mouths were a bit disconcerting. They would speak in conversation to each other, but every few sentences they would beg Jesus for something.
It went something like this:
Traveler #1 This flight leaves late.
Traveler #2 Yeah, but it's night so I think I will sleep.
T #1 Jesus please help T#2 sleep. Thank you Jesus.
T#2 Is Billy Jo David still not feeling well?
T #1 Yes, he said he needs to see a doctor when we get home.
T #2 Jesus please please bless Billy Jo David that he will be healed and recover. Thank you Jesus.
T #1 Yeah I'm sleeping now.
T#2 Jesus please bless T#1 now. He will be sleeping. Bless him. Thank you Jesus!
At first I thought this was comforting. We all need some prayers as we fly. But that was a lot of Jesus thanking. I wonder if they could just thank him in their hearts sometimes.
This is the end of part I. With kids screaming, fighting, and my need to clean up messes this is just some of my initial thoughts. Also have I mentioned that I hate technology? One of our computers doesn't like to download pictures and the one that does was just repaired but the store gave us the wrong power supply cord so I will end with "UGH"!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment